Bare Escentuals

Friday 18 April 2008



I'm a real amateur when it comes to makeup. I did experience with makeup when I was younger but only used it on special occasions. Most of the time, I thought I didn't really need it as my skin was doing quite well. Now at the age of 23 I have to confess that I can't get away without makeup! Dark circles were never much of a problem before until I started doing my last project for my degree. I practically had to stay up very late just to do my project as I left it till last. Yup it's my own fault and now my dark circles won't go away. I also have a lot of broken red vein on my cheeks which I had since I was younger and an uneven skintone from the sun so I really do have lots to cover. My solution was that I really needed makeup to cover all the imperfections. I needed something that looked natural and didn't look too obvious I was wearing makeup.

I came acrossed mineral makeup when I was browsing through a forum and one of the most exposed brand was Bare Minerals also known as Bare Escentuals. Being an amateur makeup nooby, I bought tiny little samples off an ebay seller for £2.50 each excluding postage! It was ridiculously expensive but I really didn't want to get wrong colour. I bought light, medium, medium beige and medium tan. I'm Chinese with a yellow skintone and have a light to medium tone. I thought medium beige was a good match so I ended up buying the full size. When my full sized jar bare escentual arrived, I applied it on straight away. Well actually I applied is quite heavierly and then I realised, oh no It's actually too dark for my skin and didn't match at all. Although I bought it a very long while ago, I do remembered I liked the finishing. It made my skin glow and look healthy. Apart from that I thought I really needed to get a mineral makeup that matches my skintone more. Actually the foundation colours for mineral makeup can be quite forgiving if you use a little bit. However in my case, I have lots to cover up so I prefer heavier coverage.

So would I recommend Bare minerals/escentuals? I don't think I would buy it again but I did like how it made my skin glow and look healthy but colourwise, it sucks! Although Bare Escentuals is very forgiving in terms of colours, but once you start adding more layers, you will notice the colour difference. So for people who might prefer a medium to full coverage, I would look for other mineral companies. They only place you could buy it from which is accessable would be from qvc but even that is expensive when you include the postage and packaging. A more cheaper option is to buy it from ebay for a more cheaper price. Also just a little note for everyone in uk, Bare Escentuals will be opening a counter in Selfridges very soon. I also bought their Flawless Face brush and I thought it was unbelievable crap. The bristles were hard and it felt like I was exfoliating my face. I even had flakies when buffing the mineral into my face so I'm staying away from their brushes! I also bought their duo container of well rested eyes and bisque and thought it was good. One was salmon colour and one was yellow but sadly It didn't cover my dark circle well enough but it did look natural but I'm pretty sure it would work on someone who have lighter circles than mine.






0 comments: