Silk Pillow Covers

Sunday 20 April 2008


Most of us have good skin during the summer months but when winter comes along, we start noticing that our skin tends to get more drier and even flaky. This happens to me all the time during winter and my skin starts getting dry during the day revealing the flakes. My skin is also extremely dry when I wake up from the heating thats always on during the cold months. I'm someone who toss and turn in bed alot just to get a comfortable position whilst I'm sleeping and I do believe all these tossing and turning are harsh on my face as I use a cotton pillow cover so naturally it is harsh. I started researching if silk pillow covers were better or not and found out that I was right. Silk pillow covers are extremely soft and easy on the face. It's also great at preventing the anti-ageing process and the great thing about it is that when you apply cream on at night, the silk pillow won't adsorb or rub off. Lastly, it prevents bed head and have good benefits for your hair.

So I had to decide if I should buy a branded silk pillow or just one off ebay? The Silkskin or a Silk Charmeuse from ebay? The Silkskin brand had lots of good reviews online and always published in magazines but it cost £35 for just a piilow case. Actually I was shocked at the price, who would spend that much on a pillow. As I'm someone on a tight budget, I really couldn't afford it and needed a cheaper alternative so I resulted in searching on ebay. lol I'm a big ebay fan as I'm proper frugal so that where I get a lot of things from. I found one from a seller called feeling_pampered based in USA who sells various silk items. I could have got one from a UK seller but I wanted to save money. I opted for the pink pillow cover and eyemask which came in deal and I paid £16 in total including in shipping. It does still seem like a lot of money for a piece of cloth but well worth it. There are lots of sellers selling silk pillows and its up to you who you buy from. I always check their feedback as sometimes, if the item is good, the buyer will leave feedback about the product more than the service. I searched for silk Charmeuse. According to Wikipedia "Charmeuse is a lightweight fabric woven with a satin weave, where the warp threads cross over three or more of the backing (weft) threads. The front side of the fabric has a satin finish- lustrous and reflective- whereas the back has a dull finish. It can be made of silk, or a synthetic lookalike such as polyester. It differs from plain satin in that charmeuse is softer and lighter in weight."

It arrived very fast considering it was from USA and was wrapped very well in an lovely organza pouch and looked good enough to as a gift. I had to hand wash it first and it dried within a day. After self-testing it for a few weeks now, I am happy with the results. I don't get as much flakies as before. It also meant I don't get anymore flakes when I apply mineral makeup so I would definately recommend it to everyone and they do make lovely presents. As for the eyemask, I was using a cotton eyemask from muji before and switched to this silk one. The eyemask is big and covers alot of areas and doesn't absorb the moisture from your skin. I tried various ways of putting the eyemask on so that it wouldn't slip but yup it does feel uncomfortable still and sometime hurts eventhough I have a small head. :D

0 comments: